Pitti Uomo, which occurs biannually in Florence, Italy, is one of the world’s premier menswear trade shows. It attracts brands, designers, buyers, magazine editors, and the infamous, “Pitti Peacocks.” For better (and worse), Pitti has become known as the place for amazing classic and dapper street style. In this video, I’m reacting to some street style slideshows–British GQ and Vogue–from the most recent Pitti Uomo 95.
The peacock thing is something I want to touch on just briefly. With the culture of “me,” “look at me,” and “anyone can be famous” that social media (cough, Instagram) has bred, many people just show up, dressed in costumes, to try and get their photo taken. These people have no actual reason to be at the event–they just want to be seen.
Some of, if not the most, blatant offenders of this, are so-called influencers. This is a term that I absolutely abhor–it’s on about the same level as an “influencer” calling themselves a “Public Figure”–but one that has become accepted in marketing vernacular. The vast majority of these folks, have no vested (or, waistcoated?) interest in being at the event unless a brand has paid them to attend. But other than that, priority one is to get snapped by a street style photog so maybe they’ll “blow up”.
It’s disgusting. Being in the digital space for over six years and coming up when I did, I, know many of these people, though, thankfully, I can claim blissful ignorance of the “up-and-comers”. I will say that the handful of guys, who I’d consider OGs along with myself, do, in fact, have something of value to offer, in their own ways. It wasn’t driven so much by being famous as it was to share a perspective, passion, and POV with the world.
I’m getting WAY off on a tangent here. Bottom line is that I feel some photographers have gotten hip to this, especially at Pitti. When you have folks like Robert Spangle shooting for British GQ–someone who actually knows who the real deal dudes are–you’re going to get a more realistic view. I’d invite you to contrast that with the photos in the Vogue slideshow.
Finally, I realize that I am not the most entertaining “reactor”. It’s not my style to be over the top and “perform” like that. I prefer to be more carefully considered. If you like that (and you’ve read this far) you are probably the right kind of guy for this channel!
LIFE OF THE PITTI PEACOCKS:
▪ Cubitts Glasses → https://shopstyle.it/l/Ya1S
▪ Uniqlo Turtleneck → http://bit.ly/2TOlmRf
▪ Patek Philippe 5711 → http://bit.ly/2D2t71B
▪ Reacting To London Street Style → https://youtu.be/m54emLEc5zM
▪ 5 Ways To Wear A Grey Suit → https://youtu.be/ueTGt20qI3E
▪ Sony a7R III → http://amzn.to/2DkacPM
▪ Sony FE 24-70mm GM Lens → http://amzn.to/2DqVDqs
▪ Sony RX100V (vlog) → http://amzn.to/2DgeVma
▪ Zoom H4n → http://amzn.to/2DFoR5L
▪ Sennheiser Shotgun Mic → http://amzn.to/2D9qEPw
▪ Lightpanels Astra LED Panels → http://amzn.to/2FIISc1
▪ Impact Stands → http://amzn.to/2DFI2wn
▪ Yongnuo YN600 → http://amzn.to/2Dp1TlF
FOLLOW HE SPOKE STYLE
▪ Website → http://hespokestyle.com
▪ HSS Shop → http://shop.hespokestyle.com
▪ Instagram → https://www.instagram.com/hespokestyle
▪ Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/hespokestyle
▪ Twitter → https://twitter.com/hespokestyle
▪ Jane Lim → email@example.com
Contains affiliate links // Stay tailored!
#pitti #pittiuomo #streetstyle